The Director of Sales is responsible for managing all sales, distributor sales relationships, and brewery sales representatives. Obtaining/maintaining key customer relationships and delivering annual targets through a concise sales strategy/planning process. This position will also work closely with the brewery operations team to ensure efficient delivery of Mankato Brewery products to distributors. The Director of Sales will be an integral member of the Mankato Brewery management team and will participate in the planning, development, and execution of key brewery business objectives. Responsible for creating a brewery sales team to support key accounts and develop new accounts while working with distributor sales teams. The Director of Sales will report directly to the company’s founder.
Essential Job Functions:
- Develop annual and multi-year sales plans in support of organization’s strategic goals and objectives. This sales plan shall include both distributor and taproom selling strategies and tactics.
- Develop strategies and brand priorities for inclusion in annual business planning meetings for distributor partners. Work directly with brewery distributors during annual, as well as monthly, business planning meetings.
- Budgets - directly manages the P&L including distributor marketing funds and spending plans; responsible for achieving financial targets and operating within budget parameters
- Core Accounts - develop and maintain strong relationship on and off-premise accounts, builds strong partnerships, creates programs, and conducts business reviews
- Strategy/Planning - create brand, market, and pricing strategies with action plans
- Routine travel to various markets and work directly with Mankato Brewery’s distributor teams at their location.
- Oversee and evaluate market research. Adjust Sales strategies to meet changing market & competitive conditions. Recommend unique sales strategies for improvement, based on market research and competitor analysis.
- Lead, coach and challenge the Sales division to continually improve upon distributor support and provide accountability for meeting deadlines of tangible deliverables while ensuring customer service standards are met.
- Responsible for developing and managing a sales team capable of carrying out needed sales and service initiatives. Identify key metrics of success relative to the performance of the sales team and ensure accountability for their performance.
- Deliver sales presentations to Mankato Brewery Board of Directors and distributors in coordination with the distributor Market Representatives.
- Provide leadership and direction to all employees under direct supervision. Complete performance reviews and create Professional Development Plans for each member of the sales team
- In collaboration with the business owners, develop and manage annual sales and sales-related marketing budgets.
- Analyze and control expenditures of the sales team to conform to budgetary requirements. Make any necessary adjustments to expenditures throughout the fiscal year while being sensitive to the company’s operating budget.
- Provide support, leadership and promote accountability to all organizational policies.
- Perform additional tasks and responsibilities as directed by the company owners.
An individual should demonstrate the following qualities to perform the role of Director of Sales:
- Leadership – the candidate inspires and motivates the team to perform at a high level. The candidate is willing and accepts feedback from others.
- Communication – the candidate speaks clearly, is able to lead productive meetings and compelling presentations. The candidate responds promptly and respectively to colleagues and accounts. The candidate must be able to interact and communicate with individuals at all levels of the company.
- Flexibility – the candidate is flexible and able to adapt to changes in the workplace and in broader markets. The candidate has the ability to pivot to produce favorable results while managing change, delays, or unexpected events.
- Quality Commitment – the candidate embodies the company’s commitment to quality and is a key member in suggestions to help maximize efficiency and responsible growth.
- Analytical – the candidate has the ability to strategically process information quickly and efficiently. The candidate must work collaboratively with other key members of the company’s leadership team to identify areas in which to streamline processes and measure results.
- Decision Making – the candidate confidently makes executive decisions that are in the best interests of the company. The candidate is highly confidential with the ability to exercise good judgement and discretion.
- Time Management – the candidate must be able to work in a fast-paced environment with demonstrated ability to juggle multiple competing tasks and demands.
- Computer skills – the candidate must be proficient in utilizing industry standard sales tools (VIP, PPT, EXCEL, etc.)_
Applicant MUST have:
- 3+ years experience sales management experience with a beer distributor.
- Must have strong understanding of distributor workings, national accounts, brand building, people development, and pricing dynamics.
- Proof of legal age for alcohol consumption in the State of Minnesota.
- Long-term commitment to the craft beer industry.
- Passion, creativity, technical/mechanical savvy, and commitment to quality and innovation.
- Physical capability of lifting 60 pounds and moving 165 pounds.
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office products, namely MS Excel and Outlook.
- Flexibility to work long and/or odd hours, including nights and weekends.
- Beer industry experience a must.
Mankato Brewery encourages diversity and individuality. We are an equal opportunity employer.
Send resume to firstname.lastname@example.org